GSA baseball team upset in quarterfinal round

Safe at home

Payson Allen slides safely into home. Photo by Monique Labbe

BLUE HILL—The top-seeded George Stevens Academy baseball team saw its playoff run cut early, as the ninth-ranked Fort Kent Warriors shocked the Eagles in a 3-2 quarterfinal upset on June 7.

The Eagles trailed 1-0 in the second inning, but a single by Taylor Schildroth sparked a two-run rally in the bottom of the third to take a 2-1 advantage, as senior Beckett Slayton drove in the go-ahead run. With two outs and bases loaded, a pop out to right field stranded three potential runs on the bases.

With just a one-run lead, the Eagles allowed Fort Kent a two-run rally of its own, as a two-out double and two stolen bases allowed the Warriors to take the 3-2 lead in the top half of the fourth inning. George Stevens had its scoring chances in the bottom half of the inning, loading the bases again, but a pop fly into center field ended the inning before a run could cross the plate.

From the outfield

Right fielder Nick Norton makes a throw back to the infield. Photo by Monique Labbe

After pitching 110 pitches, the maximum amount of pitches for a high school player in Maine, Fort Kent’s Josh Soucy gave up the mound to relief pitcher Eden Paradis in the bottom of the seventh. With three outs remaining to forge a comeback, the Eagles’ batters went down in a one-two-three inning as Fort Kent sealed the upset.

Stefan Simmons started the game on the mound for the Eagles and pitched through four innings before Schildroth came in for relief.

“Fort Kent was peaking at the right time,” said Eagles head coach Dan Kane. “They played an excellent ball game.”

Despite the quarterfinal loss, the season has been a successful one for the Eagles, as the team finished 13-4 as the top seed in Class C North.

“We had an excellent season with many exciting last minute heroics defensively, on the mound and with the bat,” said Kane.

Throw out attempt

Catcher Marshal Lebel attempts to throw a runner out at second. Photo by Monique Labbe

Teams across Maine were plagued with scheduling woes this season, as poor weather conditions led to postponed games throughout May. Though the inconsistency made it difficult to find a rhythm, Kane said that because every team faced the same weather struggles it did not put his team at any disadvantages against other teams.

Kane also credited his seniors for their hard work this season, as well as the past seasons they have been on the team.

“The seniors on the team have led the program through many great wins over the last three seasons and will be missed next season,” he said.

With the season over, Kane now looks to his underclassmen for the 2018 season.

“Overall we have a solid nucleus of players returning with some promising young players and hopefully will be able to have a great season again next year,” he said.

Comments are closed